What Greens will do in Worcester
If elected in sufficient numbers, Green Councillors will:
- Promote the establishment of a green economy for Worcestershire, with the establishment of local jobs in energy conservation, recycling, generation of renewable energy and local food production.
Read more about developing sustainable local jobs.
- Support current recycling schemes, promote alternatives to the expensive incinerator, and promote policies that move the city towards ‘zero-waste’, including extending recycling to city pubs and restaurants.
Read more about waste and recycling.
- Continue to take a lead in promoting economic and efficient public transport, and reclaiming our streets for walking and cycling. We look forward to a time when once again our children walk and cycle to school, and people get around the city safely without using private cars.
- Support the development and implementation of a long-term strategy for public, commercial and private transport in Worcester and the West Midlands Region, with the aim of reducing environmental impact and improving quality of life in Worcester. Read more about a sustainable transport network.
- Create a healthy environment by focusing on prevention, healthy food and a community based NHS.
Read more about promoting a healthy environment.
- Tackle litter with an anti-litter education campaign and new initiatives to enable cleanup costs to be back-charged to the originating sources of the litter, such as fast food vendors.
- Support initiatives to re-establish caring communities within the City, by increasing community policing in place of CCTV surveillance, promoting local businesses instead of multinational chains, strengthening local centres, such as St. John's, Warndon Villages, and St. Peter's, instead of centralising all services in the City centre.
Read more about rebuilding our communities.
- Improve access to affordable accommodation within Worcester and ensure that houses are as energy efficient as possible.
Read more about affordable accommodation for all.
- Increase the powers that are devolved to the local level and have more resources placed under the control of local government, thus giving local people more say in the issues that matter to them.
Read more about devolving power to the local community.
To view the detailed policies for Worcester (currently being updated), download the Green Party Local Manifesto
(requires Adobe Acrobat Reader).